Fortune telling — as my regular readers might be fortunate enough to tell — is a very common “cognitive distortion.”
We believe we know what the future holds, as if we have psychic powers. We make negative predictions, feeling convinced these are unavoidable facts. Examples of fortune telling: “I am going to fail,” “This situation will never change.”
I’m fortune telling, now, that this post may get several comments identifying with that very human and pervasive way of thinking.
Why do we so often believe we know what the future holds, as if we have psychic powers? Maybe it’s because the uncertainty and the unknown of the future are difficult for us to tolerate. Maybe we believe we will do better in our lives if we’re prepared for what’s coming.
People who see me for individual and group therapy often express a wish to know the future. Some of them have visited psychics. Actually, I visited a psychic or two, in my youth. One of my friends from college regularly did tarot card readings for me.
Lately, I’ve been visiting an online tarot card site. Why? Because
- it’s fun,
- it’s free,
- I’ll be reconnecting with that tarot-reading friend from college sometime soon, and
- I like suspending my disbelief, for a few moments, to pretend I know something about the future.
Yesterday, I asked this question of the online tarot cards:
What does the future hold, for my blogging?
And here are the answers:
What do you think of that fortune telling? It’s my fortune to tell you these things about those cards:
- My college friend, Diana, would often reassure me that the “Death” card did NOT mean death, but rather change.
- I often tell myself and other people “Feel the fear and do it anyway.”
- That seems like a pretty positive, hopeful reading, to me.
- The fortune telling in those cards may have been affected by somebody else playing with the keyboard when I still needed to choose 2 more cards.
My fortune telling readers might foretell there are some other quickly-snapped photos in their immediate future.
I foresee some wicked cool, new, delicious, magic, fresh, lovely, and rockin’ comments in my future. And I don’t need an online tarot card site to tell me that.
Thanks to all who fortune-tell, including you!