As someone who can struggle making decisions, I am very curious about how others make decisions.
One of the reasons I struggle with decisions is that I’m a high Perceiver according to the Myers-Briggs test, which means I feel more comfortable collecting additional data rather than making a decision.
So I’d like to collect some data, here and now. How do you make decisions when
- you are definitely out of your depth?
- you get conflicting data from experts?
- there can be considerable costs (monetary or otherwise) if you make a wrong decision?
- you secretly wish the problem would just go away magically?
- you tend to catastrophize worst case scenarios?
- you’re afraid of getting trapped on a path you can’t escape?
- you distrust your ability to figure out who and what to trust?
- you wonder about people’s motives?
- there is so much miscommunication and misunderstanding among humans, that it’s difficult to get to the “truth”?
- you don’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings or otherwise cause them trouble?
- you have trouble asking for help?
- different people give you very different advice?
- you would much rather be focusing on situations within your comfort zone?
- you’re not psychic and can’t predict the future?
- you feel like you don’t belong in the role of decision maker?
Right now, I’m having trouble making decisions about what to discuss in this blog post! Should I write about my struggles with decisions regarding getting the repair work done on our home? Should I share my problems deciding about next steps related to Joan the cat’s recurring ear infections? Should I discuss the kashmillion decisions I make every day, with varying levels of comfort?
Well, I’m making the decision to share these images.
How do you make decisions about which of those National Days to consider today?
How do you make decisions about which of these videos (which I found by searching YouTube for “how do you make decisions?”) to watch?
How do you make decisions about what thoughts and feelings to express, here and elsewhere?
I have no trouble making decisions about expressing gratitude, so thanks to all who made the decision to visit this blog today, including YOU!