My son and I started watching the HBO series True Detective this weekend.
(The truth is I detected that image of True Detective many places on the internet).
It’s true you would have detected this on my Facebook page last night:
The best TV show ever? I’m thinking maybe yes, after watching two episodes.Thanks for the push, Jonathan.
You don’t have to be a detective to find out who Jonathan is. He’s my ex-business partner.
Together, for many years, Jonathan and I detected as much truth as we could, in the murky, confusing, and (let’s face it) profit-driven universe of marketing and advertising.
That’s how I would begin telling the story of Jonathan and Ann in the World of Advertising and Marketing. The truth is that I don’t know what words Jonathan might use, detecting the truth of that experience.
That reminds me of the narrative structure of True Detective, where the two detectives involved in a case tell the story very differently.
Where is the truth in any situation, when all involved tell the stories somewhat differently? How do you detect the truth in all of that?
In my own way, I’ve tried to be a true detective throughout my life. Here are some truths I’m detecting right now:
- It’s raining outside.
- I’m going back to work tomorrow — detecting truths, as best I can, as a group and individual psychotherapist in the outpatient clinic of a major Boston teaching hospital — after a four-day Thanksgiving vacation.
- Like one of the detectives in True Detective, I often take my pulse by feeling the artery in my neck.
- I wonder what it all means sometimes (like some characters on True Detective).
- I don’t like spoilers, so I just turned away from the internet when looking for different True Detective links for this post.
- I don’t know what the truth is about my health.
- I’ll be seeing four medical detectives in December (who might narrate my story differently).
- December starts tomorrow.
I detected some photographic truths yesterday and before I present the evidence, here’s the theme music from True Detective (found here on YouTube):
My images, from yesterday:
What true story would you detect and create, out of those?
Thanks to everybody who truly helps me detect and create my my own story, every day, and to those reading my story here (including you, detecting your own truths on the way).