As a psychotherapist, I’ve witnessed and approved people changing their ideas and feelings about themselves, switching from “disapproved” to “approved.” I also witness and approve them caring less about whether they are approved of or disapproved of by other people.
In my experience, what helps turn “disapproved” into “approved”?
- Letting go of excessive, habitual and unhelpful judgments.
- Recognizing that imperfections and mistakes are NOT
- Replacing old, unhelpful thoughts, behaviors, and relationships with new and helpful ones (including these antidotes to unhelpful thoughts).
How do you approve of this post, so far?
If you’ve approved (or disapproved) of a lot of these posts in the past, you may have noticed that the title I approve for the post is often connected to a song I approve of, which has shown up during my approved walks, from the day before.
Yesterday, I approved this tune by a favorite band:
Because I usually approve live performances (but couldn’t find one I approved of for “Twiggs Approved”), I looked for another approved Dixie Dregs performance, on YouTube,* for this post. I found this one from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, this one from American Bandstand with Dick Clark, and then approved this live one for here:
Why am I approving that? Because it gives me an excuse to share a YouTube video created almost four years ago by my now 16-year-old son Aaron:
Of course, as Aaron’s mother, I REALLY approve of that video.
I shall now approve this excuse for including the photos I took yesterday: I took all of them while it was raining a smokin’ amount of water, throughout the day.
That last photo shows the flooded location of my son Aaron’s appearance as THE LEAD IN A PLAY THIS WEEKEND! (Sometimes, all capital letters indicate approval, from me. Sometimes they indicate I’m going ham.)
I hope you approve of my telling you a few more things about those photos:
- It was raining so hard yesterday that very few human beings around me approved of the idea of walking for more than a few seconds outside.
- After I walked through the downpour, I felt drenched but HEALTHY. I’m hoping that the doctors I see this month will approve my intuitive feeling, right now, that my heart is okay.
If I end this post right now, do you approve?
I DON’T CARE. I’m ending it anyway.
Thanks to everybody who has ever approved or disapproved or been approved of or disapproved of, in any way (including YOU, I’m sure you will not be able to disprove).
* Whether or not you approve of YouTube, it’s part of our lives, isn’t it? Which reminds me: acceptance is another thing that helps people move from disapproved to approved.