Even though people sometimes look to me for advice, I am hesitant to give it.
My advice about advice to new psychotherapists often includes the following:
- Giving advice is easy.
- Any advice you give is subjective.
- People have probably heard your advice before.
- Wrong advice could damage your relationship.
- Advice is common; acceptance is rare.
- Encourage people to use their own wisdom and experience, rather than depending on your advice.
I don’t advise that we all stop giving or listening to advice. Advice is everywhere and some can be very helpful.
I now advise that we look at my photos from yesterday. Perhaps we’ll find some advice.
Here‘s some musical advice:
Any advice about today’s post?
My advice is to express appreciation to others, including all those who helped me create this blog (including Willie Nelson and Ken from Cardiac Rehab) and — of course! — YOU.