- “the use of irony to mock or convey contempt,”
- “an ironic or satirical statement tempered by humor,”
- saying “the opposite of what’s true in an attempt to make someone look or feel foolish,”
- something my son requested that I stop using when he was young,
- difficult to avoid in certain situations, and
- the subject of today’s Daily Bitch Calendar.
Do you detect sarcasm in any of the following statements?
- The people in power care about the rest of us so much.
- Politicians try really hard to keep their promises.
- Everybody in the United States has equal rights.
- The United States citizenry always does a great job exercising the precious right to vote.
- People are so well versed on the real issues that are going to affect them.
- The squeaky wheel not only gets the most grease, it also deserves more attention than the quieter wheels (and the wheels that have trouble being heard).
- Everyone agrees with me and my late mother that honesty is the best policy.
Do you detect sarcasm in any of these images?
What are your thoughts and feelings about sarcasm in this age of anxiety?
These days, I am never sarcastic when expressing gratitude (although some people are), so thanks for everything!