Do you have expectations and preconceptions of what America is? Are those assumptions based on personal experience, on what others have told you, or on what you’ve been shown by the media?
Is this America, to ask these questions about America?
Is this America, where a blogger might
- become a poet and
- try not to blow it?
Is this America, where
- there are so many parts that can be so divided,
- the political system can be so derided,
- there’s unfairness AND freedom in ways most confusing,
- without money or privilege, so many are losing,
- there’s that love/hate dynamic with the rest of the planet,
- other countries might praise it but so many might pan it?
Is this America, where American guitarist Pat Metheny asks that question, musically?*
Is this America?
Are any of those photos more or less America, as you see things?
Is this America, where I’m writing this?
I have the day off from work for Patriots’ Day. Does that answer that last question?
American AND world-wide thanks to poets and Pats; trees, geese, and cats; artists and walkers; listeners and gawkers; doorways and flowers; signs by the hours; eaters and feeders; writers and readers (of course, since that’s you!)*
* Not everything rhymes in America, you know.