Yesterday, which was Saturday, I spent most of the day “doing nothing.”
And, yes, I had some judgment about that.
Isn’t that amazing? It’s friggin’ Day Three Hundred and Forty-Two in this Year of Living Non-Judgmentally, and I am STILL judging myself, when I have a day like that.
If I am still judging myself for such things, after so many days of working so hard on letting go of judgment, including writing a post EVERY FRIGGIN’ DAY in service of that, IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR ME?
Well, yes. I believe there is.
Why do I believe that? Lots of reasons, including:
- I know that I will continue to judge, because judging is human.
- Every day, I learn more about forgiving myself for that, and letting go of judgment (including judgment about my judgment).
- I know that I’m not alone, in all of this.
Now that I have hope, I can move forward with this post.
So! Here’s how I spent my day yesterday, after writing my blog post in the morning:
- I spent a lot of time online, reading other people’s words and checking to see if other people were reading my words.
- I watched the first episode of “The Story of FIlm: An Odyssey,” which is currently available to stream on Netflix.
- I watched the very popular movie “The Avengers,” which is currently available to stream on Netflix.
- My bf Michael and I walked to a nearby Indian Restaurant, to pick up some food.
- Michael and I watched the highly recommended movie, “Shall We Dance,” which is currently available to stream on Netflix.
- Inspired by that movie, we practiced Argentine Tango, for approximately three minutes.
- I wrote somebody an email regarding ideas for Christmas presents and did a little research about those, for approximately five minutes.
Hmmm. Now that I’ve written that list, and I’ve gone back to re-read the beginning of this post, I realize this: I did NOT do nothing yesterday. I did, at least, eight things (including writing yesterday’s post).
Actually, I can add a 9th thing to that list, of things I did yesterday:
I thought about what I was NOT doing, which included:
- Exercising more.
- Getting out more.
- Doing more, regarding Christmas shopping.
- Finishing work I needed to bring home, which is due on Monday.
Here’s the deal, people: Whatever we choose to do, there are infinite things we are NOT doing. Infinite. That is NOT an exaggeration.
Therefore, I will spare you the complete list of What I Did Not Do, Yesterday.
During the second week of 2013, My First Year of Blogging, I wrote a post called “Focus on what you are doing (rather than on what you’re not doing).” I continue to find that phrase a helpful reminder, every day. I love reminding others about that, too.
When I came up with the title for this post, this morning, I was intending to write about something else (my lack of action, so far, in getting a sleep study, and how I plan to take the next step, regarding that).
I’ve decided not to write about that, today.
So I can add What I Did Not Write About Today to the list of Things I Am Not Doing Today. A list which will be infinite, as I hope I have proven, this fine morning.
So what should I do with THAT infinite list?
I choose to throw it away, in this magic wastepaper basket:
(which made a previous appearance, here).
Feel free to throw away anything you aren’t finding useful, too.
Thanks to my old friend Peter (for recommending “Shall We Dance?”), IMDb, Netflix (even though I’m mad at them), magic wastepaper baskets, list-makers everywhere, those who are doing nothing and moving forward, and to you — especially — for reading today.